Monday, July 2, 2012

Indian thought: The Guide


It’s been 8 long years I owned a book called ‘The Guide’ by R. K Narayan. Although my momsy calls me a book freak I never touched it in all these years…but recently I did. And I am glad that I finally read it. I myself would have never bought this book…because of my prejudice that Indian authors don’t write good English novels…I apologize for it now! I’m seriously embarrassed about it at present.

I grabbed first position in English in the Mid Terms held in first year of grad year and I was given this book as a Prize. It was the year 2004; I had already read Sidney Sheldon, Danielle Steel, Paulo Coelho and the like. With lot of enthusiasm I opened the warped prize and was depressed to see “THE GUIDE”. I hated the college authorities for doing this to me, though I’m thankful now. I cursed the English teacher I had in first year and wished she may never teach me ever again. The whole life was squeezed out of me and rest of the day was so gloomy.

I came home and kept the book in between the discarded clothes…from my side, though according to my momsy…those very clothes were in and I looked gorgeous in them. (Maa ka pyar…you see!) I deliberately did not give The Guide, any place in my book cabinet. After all these years I had long forgotten about it, but this summer vacation I came across the book by chance. It had somehow got some place on the magazine rack. I picked it up and opened it and went to a flashback how I received the gift wrapped book and was so excited to have it until I opened it and the day suddenly became blue!

As I held the book in my hand I thought…2012 damn it’s been so many years and the book looks so fresh. Back in 2004, I had not read Shobha De, Chetan Bhagat and Durjoy Datta…and as per the literature history R. K Narayan had been a leading writer.

So, I started to read it…    



Much to my surprise, it is an amazing work of art. The book is beautifully written in such detail that I imagine myself in Malgudi railway station and wished to see railway Raju. The characteristics of both abstract things and human beings are so discreetly described and illustrated that I felt as if I know all of them in person. The so called villain had awesome shades of grey that you feel pity for him at times. Being a girl, I wished I too could do Bharatanatayam which leaves all spellbound. You got to read the book to feel it.

And the social issues are explained in such a realistic way that I felt ashamed of the society I live. I would share one of the hard truths of Indian mind…both Rosie (a married woman) and Raju (Guide/friend to her husband) fall in love, literally live together and have sex but when inquired about their relationship (by different people at different times) Raju says that she is like his sister and Rosie says that Raju is my brother. Mind you they have not discussed this that they would say that in case someone asked, they hardly had time and sense to talk. The book was written in 1958…even after 54 years the psychology of Indian young mind has not changed much…I know many who call their lovers pr beloveds as their cousins.  Then again the blind faith of people in Sadhus and Babas still prevails just the way it did in the novel. I never felt I’m reading a book written in late 1950s.    

First time, I felt like yes I have read an Indian novel, Indian author, Indian thought and Indian way of life. You got to read the book to feel it.

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful memories... luv reading ur blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i live in d same prejudice against indian authors xcept R.K Narayan n Sulman Rushdie :P doh i was made 2 read chetan bhagat, bt dint draw pleasure frm it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) CB does not write about the hard core realities of the Indian society... I read him fr fun...you can finish off reading his book a day! 4 hours continuous effort :D

      Delete
    2. tru!! i started his, umm wat was dat....yea-3 mistakes of "his" damn lyf :P...i felt lyk i was reading a comic book :P aldoh i believe dat if u really get into a book, u cn finish it off vry quickly....i remember i was goin back 2 lpu once n i had "doomsday conspiracy"-a genuine page turner...i finished dat book in 6 hrs n said damn, wat m gonna do in d rest of d journey :P

      Delete
    3. :p 2 states seemed as a Hindi masala film narration!!

      I love reading while travelling...

      Delete
    4. coz dere is nothing betr 2 do if dere isnt a cute grl around ur seat :P

      Delete
    5. well, i was speaking 4 myself :P

      Delete
    6. oh m really really sry, i dint mean 2 sound selfish :(

      Delete
    7. chill KD. I'm just joking???
      oh man Am I sounding like chunky pandey! anyhow. kidding!

      Delete
    8. hehe...c trolled u :P
      i cnt believe u fell 4 dat :P

      Delete
  3. sorry for the interruption......but i just saw u guys justly criticizing chetan bhagat....felt i should also do some justice to CB ,actually a lot of crap had already been written by CB, and there is no stopping the idiot, well, Some idiots use his quotations.....

    like - on the day of your death no one asks your marks...., WTH, - well it changes nothing, CB at its best, i mean those using his quotes are already working to create a makeshift arrangement that works to take them to graveyard...all of them worried about their graves....grave-seller -CB

    R.K. Narayanan is great, I aint read his malgudi days, but saw the filmed episodes way back when i was a kid, that was very real......as if i could touch and feel the characters, he would bring characters so close....rooted in reality, real as people are, or can be....depicted as such....

    sanju

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Sanju on the CB thing and obviously R.K Sir's creativity.

      If you like reading books, then you got to read the stuff to imagine for yourself...what it cud have been back then...I was enchanted.

      I hope you read the write up and not just the comments! :p

      Keep reading

      Delete
  4. The thing that i like most about RK is his earthly characters, and anyways, der aye durust aye, one more experience to your reading, RK, dats great...

    I have stopped reading, have read shobha de, sidney s, tarun tejpal(tehelka), and a few others.....

    one point to ponder over, do we expect marriages to have the base as, love, or do we expect lady and the man to stick together for nothing. what is the greatest glue binding people together, is it sex, love or something else.....well do we expect people to commit no mistakes...

    We are hypocrites, and we are a part of it, so i feel sympathy for raju and his wanton girlfriend/sister. What if raju loved a lady, raju must have got himself fulfilled, love fulfills..

    the causes of this are deeper than they appear to be on the surface..

    and i read the whole post...

    sanju

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marriage is quite an individual decision...

      For me the base is love! Greatest glue binding people together is love in all relationships... and yes its very human to make mistakes... we need to understand this fact first to understand any person.
      No doubt whole modern society is hypocrite!

      thanks for reading :P

      Delete
    2. plesure is all mine ....miss mahajan

      sanju

      Delete
  5. please both of u tell me the meaning of :p and :d, a lot of ppl have been sending me these....

    and dark knight, life thrives on mystery...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D wen u show ur teeth...while smiling...
      :p wen u show ur tongue smile laughing :)

      Delete
    2. ":P" is kinda expression vn u sumthing is funny or u wanna make fun of sumthing in a non-insultin way
      ":D" stands for laugh

      n yes sir i no abt mystery, no 1 knows mystery betr dan "dark knight"

      Delete
  6. so ur profile pic is a :D sonam...

    n you are really very great sir, and i am really getting to like your name, :P

    did i use that right, :p,

    thanks...both of you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, no sarcasm 2 my name, i take batman very seriously!!
      n yea u used it kinda ryt :P
      HAPPY 2 HELP ;)

      Delete
  7. I dare not be sarcastic....sire..


    n sonam u r so cute....

    ReplyDelete
  8. actly this is sanju here....i thought you were aware that these comments were in continuation........

    ReplyDelete