Wednesday, July 18, 2012

For India's First Superstar

Before 2010, death was unknown to me. I lost my dear friend Sanil Khanna on 5th June 2010 and actually experienced the void of someone leaving the planet earth forever. It was so hard for me to stop thinking about him, and I started to miss more than ever I thought I would. Then on 4th October 2010, my beloved Badi Ma (Dadi) left the world with such silence that I could not believe it. But as I saw every ritual going on in front of my eyes, the whole world seemed to be an illusion. It was the saddest year of my life. I wish I could erase the bitter memory of that year.

Today, as usual I logged in to my facebook account on my phone and read Divya’s status telling the world that Rajesh Khanna is no more! I felt like crying but controlled myself being in office.
As a student of Journalism and mass communication, I have read a lot about him. Back in Grad years, our film studies teacher gave us a project on film stars life, being absent in her class. I missed the opportunity to choose Hrithik, Shah Rukh, Aamir, all present day stars were already taken… I was asked to choose by myself and tell her as soon as possible. I called my papa for guidance. My papa is fond of watching movies and often tells us how he use to bunk his school and go watch movies!

I called Papa...
Me, “Hello, papa”
Papa, “Hello, haan beta!”
Me, “Pops, film studies ka project mila hai…koi film star batao…matlab koi acha actor…”
Papa, “Dev Anand”
Me lying to him, “Rabi,  bana raha hai Dev Anand par, koi aur”
Papa, “Rajesh Khanna”
Me, “Zinda hai?”
Papa, “Hai pagal, haan”
Me, “Chalo theek hai, byeeeeeeee”
Papa, “Bye”

I called Poona ma’am to tell her that I’ll be working on Rajesh Khanna’s life and filmography. And then the Google search started…I read all available articles of him and watched may of his films as well. Most of his movies were super hit. The list went on and on.

The first movie I watched was Aradhana   and I understood why he was called the SUPERSTAR! He looked so young and handsome in the movie that it could anyone’s breath away. All men look hot in uniforms and he was no exception, that too of Indian Air Force. I watched it around four times in 24 hours and went mad for his character in the movie and decided to get married to an Air Force Officer! He had looks men die for and women drool for. The way he looked at the leading lady was amazingly romantic and his eyes said too much to be easily understood.

I was told that the term “SUPERSTAR” was first used for Rajesh Khanna, girls use marry his photograph back then, and send him letters written in blood! I also read that he was the only Bollywood actor who struggled to get into movies in a luxury car and that he enjoyed godlike status once his movies were released.

I don’t exactly understand why I am writing this…I guess it’s a reaction to the sad news I was touched by and wanted to share how I got to know him as a great he is. 

 I wish his soul rests in peace. 

2 comments:

  1. you can't love a movie star may be, you can like a movie star, admire. and if you can. love, he/she won't even give a dime about it.

    death, well to have lived and died happens rarely, but we die in the midst somewhere. If you have ever loved some one dearly, then you have really lived, you would then be knowing the experience in love, one feels endless, so great, that nothing not even death can't kill him. one is immortalised in loved.

    even my biji/nani died way back, but i still feel such great love for her, that i am really carrying something of her in me....how can she ever die...she can't, she is still around, still that playful little girl, beautiful as she was.....

    n nice post, some things add meaning, that is the human element, the touch, the care...rest is all work, just like you wrote abt journalism and all..

    liked the personal stuff..

    sanju

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the character he played.

      thanks

      read other post also

      Delete