Wednesday, August 22, 2012

SRK: The Star who sold dreams


I had been thinking of removing lot of songs from my phone playlist…but always something came up and I delayed the deletion. Finally this afternoon it was THE DAY and I deleted the whole playlist without any selections, 267 songs gone! As I stepped into bed and thought of listening to some music, I had to switch on my laptop…grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh
As I started to explore the music folders and sub folders I took up an additional task to sort it out. So I created first folder naming Filmy songs and added all movie song folders, named them correctly and arranged them in alphabetical order…then created a non filmy folder to add all other songs…debarring genre, singer and language.
While I started to see some songs and movie folders which can be deleted… first to come was Himesh’s Aap ka Saroorrrrrrrrrrr :p It is funny to see yourself hating something that you liked few years ago!!! I loved Himesh’s music and even wrote few lines for his music (oh man what was I thinking?) I guess excess of something and pride always brings some kind of downfall.
Then I looked for the folder named SRK…was curious as soon as I had seen it when I added it to ‘filmy songs’. Simply because I could see all his movies as other folders! And to my surprise… it had old songs of SRK… the type I loved in school…I know it is going to be little awkward but then I want to share with you all… list goes like  kitaben bahut, Ek din aap, jati hoon main, jadu teri nazar, deewana dil deewana, kuch kuch hota hai, badi mushkil hai, kuch toh bata, suraj hua madham, main koi aisa geet, tumhe jo maine dekha, bas itna sa khawab hai, ban ke tera jogi, ae ajnabi, suniye toh, zara, tu mere samne, ae mere humsafar, mere mehboob mere sanam,  lot of them love songs! And I played them all one by one and then searched for all SRK movies and right now listening to Tuhje dekha toh yeh…awesome awesome and awesome! Lined up DTPH songs!
In about an hour I have relived my school recesses, bunked college lectures and so many train journeys!  
At present, in India if girl weaves some dream guy in her thoughts, all credit will go to Shah Rukh Khan and some thanks to Yash Chopra. His movies actually sold dreams to little girls in 1990s and today all those girls must be at a marriageable age just like me…some must have got married just like some of my friends and many must be about to get married just like me again! And sincerely I’m sure all of them had had liked their men to be like Rahul or Raj played by Shah Rukh.
I was a…I mean I’m Shah Rukh Khan fan. My Papa often recalls how I use to wake till midnight on the night of Filmfare awards to watch SRK receive his black lady… especially in 1998…when he got Best actor award for Dil toh Pagal hai… I was in 8th grade! I can still feel the chills I got when his name was announced and I clapped…my sleepy momsy, “Manuuuuuuuuuu” :D while my papa smiled his best smile at me.
After so many years when I recall those beautiful, peaceful and joyful days I wish I could have them back. Shah Rukh Khan’s poster on the wall, magazine cuttings of his latest movie on the study table and lamp had SRK scribbled on it with silver pen! (I still own it… though it is lying uselessly on the bedside)
 Back then every boy was judged on the standards set by the King Khan and I guess that’s the reason I hated almost all guys in my school days :p
The parameters set then seem hilarious now! If I have to share  a few… he should have silky hair…the kind which fly in the air as he moves and dimpled cheeked smile, his name should be something close to Raj or Rahul, should be able to raise his left brow! Seriously how crazy kinds I use to be…
And then suddenly like a wave came Hrithik Roshan and the SRK wall poster was replaced my 3 different posters of HR, scrap books were made since I thought I should not lose Hrithik’s pictures and interview cutting, stopped buying comics and started to buy all filmy magazines other than Filmfare (Papa reads it…some pocket money saved J). What crazy stuff I did as a Hrithik fan can’t be summed up here… so good night for now little confused about today’s dreams…SRK, Hrithik or my personal  SRK and HR combo pack Vivek J
P.S: I guess I have written a write up on HR already… but I’m sure I must have had missed lot of details.




13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Nickname is Mani... but momsy often calls me manu (when she is too happy with me or too angry at me)

      Delete
    2. well dat "manuuu" reminded me of my best frnd(he has d same 1), i went 2 his home n played 4 hours n hours, n his mom was lyk "manuuuu, bas karo tum log!!" :P :D Still after almost 10 years its d same, dats y dis coincidence got me xited :)

      Delete
    3. :)
      See how easy it is to connect through names!

      Delete
    4. its d "will" 2 connect dat matters...if u hav dat, u cn find a million things dat connect :)
      its always d lil things

      Delete
    5. Hmmm... I agree with the wise thought :)

      Delete
    6. i know right! :) bt still its nt gud enuf 4 sum ppl

      Delete
  2. a really gud point abt dreams of young grls back in 90s...d romantic superhero standard set by him is unfathomable

    ReplyDelete
  3. SRK is the only reason why i believe in romance......

    ReplyDelete