Thursday, April 26, 2012

Be popular at work!


Here presenting my readers... how they can be popular at their workplace.
People wonder someone is so known, popular and hhmmm WANTED…there is no magic wand with that person it’s just that the person is an open minded human being!

And when I say, open minded it implies he/she is friendly and polite to everyone. He/she shows empathy to all who talk or discuss with him/her. Being friendly is the easiest thing to do…and so much fun. You may get to hear to real awesome stories of other people’s life and learn from their experience.  Of course display of empathy can be a difficult task but believe me it’s not a roadie task!
At the age of 25, if I’m pleased to get any compliments, then it seems normal to all…but the actual thing is that we may grow as old as we can but we still fish for compliments…for instance my chemistry teacher in school at the age of 45+ was too happy to get any compliment…even a comment which seemed to a compliment!!! I hope you got hidden pun. So the point is…DROP A COMPLIMENT whenever you see someone looking good or doing well. J Talking of my daily give and take of compliments…there’s this young married lady, who is faculty of CSE/IT named Dalveer Kaur Grewal and seriously I love her dressing sense specifically because she is married and still able to look decent, sober and beautiful in western formals she has to wear as an employee. Every morning as I see her…I give a compliment about her looks: ‘looking good ma’am’ and she replies with ‘same to you Sonam’ and recently I have started to ponder I compliment her because I know she is modest enough to say ‘same to you Sonam’.  Whatever it is, I like it.
People would rarely listen to your problems…it’s not matter of having solutions to them…but generally it seems to be employee tendency to avoid other employees who are cribbing all the time! Atleast true to me, for the simple reason that while complaining about their over load and stuff they will soon start talking about your over load and try to set up a relation in which both the person and me become friends because we have overload of work or someone else is under loaded.  So the point here is NOT TO CRIB all the time! You are here (your workplace) for whatever time enjoy that time making sweet happy memories.
And if you are to make really happy memories…then you got to tickle a funny bone! Yes, very clearly I’m asking you to BE LITTLE FUNNY. Now this does not imply that you will keep on cracking jokes every time you like to, but to find appropriate space and time to do so. It would have made my PH shout at me or even fire for that matter in case I would have told him he looked funny wearing yellow colored socks and that color of his teeth matched exactly with his yellow socks! I shared this shitty information all my friends at work and also my classmates. (I was an intern back then)
And when I said human being, it implied that you have to BE THERE FOR YOUR COLLEAGUES or co-workers! Call them as you like them to be called. You have got a heart…which has emotions…hopefully. So, you are requested to display those emotions atleast in bad times. God listens to all our prayers even if they are silent…but destiny is cruel and can turn things upside down any time on anyone. You spent eight hours of the day working, talking, eating and making merry with those very colleagues so it’s like your moral duty to be helpful to them. 
Needless to say, HAVE POSITIVE BODY LANGUAGE which is a sure sign of positive frame of mind and positive attitude to work. I can count numerous names of people who talk to me just because I talk lot of positivity! True Story: p Jokes apart it is good to talk to people who are low! Even if you are able to help in the literal sense but they will be relaxed after sharing their experience.  

Have happy working hours!



14 comments:

  1. what up? Barney Stinson style :p
    I like the way you wrote this piece......
    Funny and informative! I hope it ll be helpful too :)
    Keep writing bebo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legendarrrry hmmm.................... Nice article! Looking forward to share it wid lot many people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all seem to be fans of Barney & are being awesome :p
      Thanks :)
      I hope all those ppl benefit out of it.

      Delete
  3. sumtym or d other, we gotta learn 2 deal vt evry kind f ppl...u cnt avoid evry1...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its awesome sonam... Reading your first article..u r simply gr8..

    ReplyDelete
  5. its good to be friendly nd make open envirnment at workplace.your article is awesome....dnt mind but this article is true if only a same GENDER compliments.;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :)
      The problem is my deptt has more female members than male members!!!

      Delete